Korean BBQ Lettuce Wraps Ssam 쌈 & Dipping Sauce SsamJang 쌈장 w/ Bacon (+Vegan Recipe) K-BBQ Sauce
Updated: Dec 8, 2019
This Korean Lettuce Wrap Condiment: Ssamjang (Korean dipping sauce 쌈장) Recipe includes How to serve and make Korean lettuce wrap (in Korean "Ssham" 쌈) and the condiment called "SsamJang" (쌈장). It is commonly served with Korean BBQ as well as with grilled fish, and also enjoyed with just rice with any grilled meats.
Below you will find the following information:
- Ingredients for putting together a lettuce wrap plate and cucumber & scallion salad
- Amazon.com links for ingredients and kitchen gadgets
- 3 options for making SsamJang
- How to make a bite sized lettuce wrap
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
FOLLOW ME @ https://www.instagram.com/modernpepper/ https://www.facebook.com/ModernPepper/ https://twitter.com/modernpepper
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
CLICK HERE TO BINGE WATCH Korean BBQ Recipes
CLICK HERE TO BINGE WATCH Korean Vegan/Vegetarian Recipes
Thanks for watching!
Please also check out...
Korean BBQ Scallion Salad: Pa MuChim 파무침 For LA Galbi 갈비 BulGoGi 불고기 (K-BBQ Salad)
Lettuce Wrap Platter:
- Any lettuce leaves of your choice. More variety of lettuces adds more flavor to your lettuce wrap. Some suggestions are red-leaf, Boston, and romaine lettuces.
- A variety of sweet and semi-sweet peppers.
- Carrot sticks (celery sticks would also be a nice addition).
- Kirby cucumbers (Persian and English cucumbers would be good substitutes.)
- Korean perilla leaves (frisee, arugula and any bitter greens would be good substitutes)
- Korean crown daisy (watercress would be a good substitute)
CUCUMBER & SCALLION SALAD
- 2 Kirby cucumbers (remove 50% of the skin and slice thinly in a circular shape)
- 3 scallion stalks (slice the stalks into strips)
- Add the following ingredients to the scallions and kirby and thoroughly mix 1/2 tbsp brown rice vinegar, 1 tsp Korean red pepper flakes, a dash of cayenne (optional), 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sesame oil, and a pinch of black pepper.
Amazon.com Links For Ingredients & Suggested Kitchen Gadgets For Korean Lettuce Wrap Condiment: Ssamjang (Korean dipping sauce 쌈장) Recipe
Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C4iqMo
Hikari Organic Miso Paste
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2IIjjtS
Jaeraesik Soybean Paste (1.1 lb) By CJ Haechandle
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2yaymIH
Chung Jung One Sunchang Seasoned Soybean Paste (Ssamjang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CUO5zl
Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar 12 Oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Cswpu3
Mizkan Pure Brown Rice Black Vinegar (Domestic Brown Rice 100%)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C5mr1m
Korean Red Hot Chili Pepper Flakes Powder
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2QH63bF
Kadoya 100% Pure Sesame Oil 5.5 oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CThYQL
Ottogi Premium Roasted Sesame Oil, 10.82 Ounces
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2vtDoyx
Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper - Certified Organic
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NI8994
100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey - Kosher Certified
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NylTUK
Sesame Seed Salt
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OlWjlJ
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2ACzNDo
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2McIeGE
Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan, 14"
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NUPKKz
All-Clad 7112NSR2 MC2 Professional Master Chef 2 Stainless Steel Bi-Ply Bonded Oven Safe PFOA Free Nonstick Fry Pan Cookware, 12-Inch, Silver
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DjEVgQ
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DtFEwi
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OGYJvT
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Q03tx9
IF YOU ARE IN A PINCH, THESE DELICIOUS MICROWAVEABLE KOREAN RICE IS A MUST!
CJ Hetbahn Cooked White Rice, Gluten-Free, Vegan
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2yrJ24O
CJ Cooked Budding Sprouted Brown Rice
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2O8C7rO
3 OPTIONS FOR MAKING LETTUCE WRAP CONDIMENT (SsamJang)
- Option 1: Buy the pre-made ssamjang, and drizzle some sesame oil and add a pinch of toasted sesame seeds before serving
- Option 2: Mix equal parts of Miso/Korean Soy Bean Paste (Dheng Jang) and GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste). (Optional: Add 1/2 - 1 Tbsp Honey) Mix thoroughly. drizzle some sesame oil and add a pinch of toasted sesame seeds before serving.
- Option 3: Using a non-stick frying pan, add the bacon and cook on high heat until golden brown and the fat has rendered. Drain the excess fat and leave just a little to sautee the vegetables. Lightly saute the vegetables on medium heat until the vegetables look "sweaty" or translucent. Add a pinch of black pepper, miso/dhen jang and gochujang to the pan and lower the heat to low. Mix thoroughly using a spatula, until the paste is heated. Immediately, transfer the ssham jang to a serving bowl and let it cool. (Optional ingredient for a sweeter taste: Add 1 tbsp of honey after you transfer to a serving bowl to cool down.) You can store this ssham jang in an air-tight container, place in the refrigerator and consume within 7-10 days. Right before you serve, drizzle some sesame oil and a pinch of toasted sesame seeds.
Ingredients: 3-4 strips of bacon (cut into small stripes). Substitutions: Ground beef, turkey or chicken.
Finely chopped 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 small onion. 1 carrot stick, 1 semi-sweet green pepper (optional: for extra spiciness, use jalepeno), and 2 stalks of green onion/scallion.
1/2 cup each of Miso/Dhen Jang and GoChuJang. (Optional: Add 1 tbsp of honey)
A pinch of black pepper
HOW TO MAKE A BITESIZE LETTUCE WRAP
(Please watch the video above)
- Take a piece of lettuce leaf (smaller than the size of your hand), and layer on additional greens of your choice. Add a small/bite size amount of Korean rice, your meat of choice, a small amount of ssamjang (remember, ssamjang is a salty condiment, so add accordingly to your taste), and a piece of cucumber and scallion to your layer of lettuce. Fold the lettuce over and wrap the ends to create a bite size wrap. I hope you enjoy the bursting medley of flavors in this lettuce wrap.
- Korean lettuce is NOT supposed to be like a taco, in that you are tilting your head to the side to take bites. And unlike tacos, Korean lettuce wrap is supposed to be 1 bite size, not multiple bites.
Can't have Korean lettuce wrap without freshly made Korean rice. BUT if you are in a pinch, you can use the microwaveable pre-made Korean rice...:-)
KOREAN RICE 101: How To Cook Korean Rice Tutorial (Bap: 밥짓기) Multigrain Rice (Japgokbap: 잡곡밥)
#lettucewrap #koreanbbq #ssam #koreanbbqlettucewrap #ssamjang #kbbqdippingsauce #koreanleetucewrap #쌈 #쌈장 #koreanrecipes #koreancooking #authenticKoreanrecipes #easykoreanrecipes #koreanrecipesinenglish #koreanfood #koreancookingtutorial #koreancookinglessons #koreancookingshow #sugarfreerecipes #sugarfreecooking #mukbang #eatingshow #4kcookingvideo #4kvideo #먹방