Kimchi Stew (Kimchi JjiGae: 김치찌개)) w/ Pork BulGoGi EASY Kimchi Stew Recipe [돼지불고기 김치찌개 레시피] [キムチチゲ]
Updated: Mar 18
Kimchi Stew (JjiGae / JigAe) is a classic Korean stew that is commonly served and enjoyed by many! No, this dish is NOT super spicy. It is a perfectly balanced hearty vegetable stew with a perfect combination of spiciness, garlickiness, tanginess, and richness of the broth from perfectly fermented kimchi.
Below you will find the following:
- Ingredient List
- Recommended Video Recipes
- Amazon.com Links for Korean ingredients and clay pot
- Recipe Instructions
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
Click To SUBSCRIBE: https://www.YouTube.com/ModernPepper
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
Thanks for watching!
(Serving Size: 2 Adults)
- 2 cups Lightly Fermented Kimchi - cut into big pieces using kitchen scissors (please watch video #8 listed below)
- 1/3 cup Kimchi Juice
- 1 cup Spicy Pork BulGoGi (please watch video #4 for Beef, Chicken & Mushroom BulGoGi Options)
- Substitution Meat Options: Pork Belly, Ham, Bacon, Sausage, Spam, and Canned Tuna.
- 1/2 Container of Firm Tofu (sliced thick)
- 1/2 Medium Onion (sliced thick)
- 1 Scallion (cut diagonally)
- 3 Fresh garlic cloves - finely minced (please do not use pre-minced jarred garlic)
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1/2 Tbsp Beef Dashida Bullion Powder (Substitut Anchovy Dashida Bullion Powder)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnishing
- Kosher salt (2/3 pinches/1/3 Tsp)
- Black Pepper (1 pinch)
- 1 Tbsp butter (optional)
NEW RECIPE: Ultimate Kimchi Stew With Fermented Pork Belly
(Kimchi-jjigae: 김치찌개) PORK Kimchi Stew Recipe & Mukbang 돼지고기 김치찌개 레시피 먹방 キムチチゲ 泡菜燉
YOUTUBE VIDEO #8 (How To Ferment & Store Your Store-Bought Kimchi)
It is critical to have a well balanced fermented kimchi, that is not overly fermented. Please watch this video.
YOUTUBE VIDEO #4 (BulGoGi 5 Ways: Beef, Chicken, Pork & Mushroom)
The marinaded bulgogi meet will enhance the taste of your kimchi stew. You can substitute Beef, Chicken or Mushroom BulGoGi. It is ideal to use Spicy Pork BulGoGi. If not pork-friendly, Spicy Chicken BulGoGi is a great alternative. Please watch the video below.
Korean Rice 101: How To Cook Korean Rice Tutorial (Bap: 밥짓기) Multigrain Rice (Japgokbap: 잡곡밥)
AMAZON.COM Links for Korean ingredients and claypot
(CLICK on the Amzon.com links below to view the item, NOT the pictures!)
Cj Anchovy Dashida (Fish Stock)
Dasida Beef Flavor Soup Stock
Hikari Organic Miso Paste
Sesame Seed Salt
Olive Oil Greek medal winner
Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 25.5 FL. OZ. tins (Pack of 2), Organic Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 3 lbs
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
CJ Hetbahn Cooked White Rice, Gluten-Free, Vegan
CJ Cooked Budding Sprouted Brown Rice
Crazy Korean Cooking Korean Stone Bowl (Dolsot), Sizzling Hot Pot for Bibimbap and Soup - Premium Ceramic (Large with Lid)
Korean DOLSOT Stone Bowl with Trivet, Premium Ceramic, Stone Pot Hot Pot for Bibimbap Soup Jjiage Korean Food (X-Large (7.1")
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
- Preheat your clay pot (or any heavy bottom pot), add the olive oil, onions, salt, and pepper to the clay pot. At high heat, let it "sweat" for a minute. Then add your spicy pork bulgogi (or your choice of meat or mushroom bulgogi) and let it sizzle for 1-2 minutes or until you see a few seared/brown marks on the meat (the key is not to cook the meat all the way through, but just to add a few sizzles/seared marks on the meat). You will also see the liquid of the meat and the bulgogi marinade drain out. Then, add your kimchi and let it sizzle/warm-up in the clay pot for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the miso paste and hot water. Slowly add the hot water to the pot so it just covers the ingredients (the ingredients on top are just barely submerged in water). I'm using the x-large (7"diameter clay pot in the video), and I leave about 1 inch of room to the brim). Add the tofu and gently press down to submerge in the broth. Add the garlic and let it simmer for 5 minutes on high heat. Add the beef Dashida (or anchovy Dashida) and distribute it well with your spoon.
- Taste the broth. If it is too salty, add some water to your taste. If it is bland, add some salt to taste. Depending on how salty or spicy your fermented kimchi is, you need to adjust the saltiness of the broth according to your taste. Now, if your broth is too spicy, then you add some honey or brown sugar (start with less than 1/2 tsp) to round out the spiciness.
- Then add some butter (optional) and distribute well using your spoon. Add the scallions and sesame seeds on top. Your kimchi stew is ready. Now, kimchi stew is supposed to be salty enough that you need to have it with rice. So, please do check out my video Korean Rice 101 For HANGRY Souls. I provide tips on how to make Korean rice super healthy. Yes, a bowl of SUPER FOOD with a variety of grains, brown rice, and beans...:-) If in a pinch, you can also use microwavable pre-cooked rice (see Amazon.com links above).
kimchi jjigae, kimchi stew, 김치찌개, kimchi chigae, maangchi kimchi stew, kimchi soup, Kimchi (Food), Jjigae (Type Of Dish), Korean food, Korean cooking, Korean recipes, Korean cuisine, Food (TV Genre), Soup (Type Of Dish), South Korea (Country), Stew (Type Of Dish), Cooking (Interest), Best Pork Kimchi Stew, asmr, eatingshow, mukbang, food, cooking, eating, recipe, cook, Korean food recipes in English, kimchi stew with pork, kimchi jjigae recipe, kimchi jjigae mukbang, kimchi jjigae pork, kimchi jjigae easy, kimchi soup, kimchi stew, kimchi soup recipe, kimchi stew recipe Korean food, Korean cooking, Korean recipe, Korean cuisine, Korean authentic recipe, travel cooking, Korean kitchen, cooking, YouTube video recipe, #porkkimchistew #돼지고기김치찌개 #kimchistewmukbang #김치찌개먹방 #김치찌개레시피 #キムチチゲ #泡菜燉 #먹방 Pork Kimchi Stew, kimchi stew mukbang,
#spicyporkstew #spicykoreanstew #kimchistew #kimchijjigae #김치찌개 #koreanrecipes #koreancooking #authenticKoreanrecipes #easykoreanrecipes #koreanrecipesinenglish #koreanfood #koreancookingtutorial #koreancookinglessons #koreancookingshow #sugarfreerecipes #sugarfreecooking #mukbang #eatingshow #4kcookingvideo #4kvideo #먹방