Restaurant Style Korean BBQ Beef Short Ribs GalBi Marinade 왕 갈비 & How To Cut Beef Short Ribs Int
Updated: Nov 6, 2019
Korean BBQ is so popular here in the states and enjoyed by so many! There are so many choices when it comes to Korean BBQ, such as beef, pork, chicken, and seafood. Galbi 갈비 (aka Kalbi) is beef short ribs that is commonly made with a soy-sauce based marinade (양념갈비). Galbi is also enjoyed with out marinade, just grilled "fresh" (생갈비), with higher quality of beef and enjoyed with a side of dipping sauce and/or SsamJang (Korean condiment made up of GoChuJang/Korean Red Pepper Paste and DhenJang/Korean SoyBean Paste: 쌈장) in a lettuce wrap called Ssam (쌈).
This recipe includes:
- How To Cut Beef Short Ribs Into Long Filets (as served at Korean BBQ restaurants)
- How To Make The Restaurant Style Marinade For The Beef Short Ribs: Galbi
- Three Methods of Grilling Galbi
- How To Make A Perfect Bite Size Lettuce Wrap (쌈) With Your Grilled Galbi
For me, having Korean BBQ is such a treat! It is not only delicious and super satisfying, but it is also a great dinning opportunity to share memorable dinners with family and friends, while grilling and making lettuce wraps over some soju and beers. So, follow this Galbi recipe and enjoy it at home with your family and friends...:-)
You will find the following below:
- Ingredient List
- Amazon.com links for ingredients and suggested kitchen gadgets
- Recipe instructions
- List of Korean markets in the San Francisco Bay Area
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. And click on that Notification Bell so you will be notified when I upload my next recipe. I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
FOLLOW ME @
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Please take a photo of your Galbi when you make it, posted it on your social media, and TAG @ModernPepper. I would love to see your Galbi creation!
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
See you soon in my next video recipe...:-)
BINGE WATCH Korean BBQ Recipes & Mukbang/Eating Show
Thanks for watching!
(Serving Size: 4 - 6 Adults)
- 3 lbs Beef Short Ribs (aka English cut beef short ribs cut into 2.5/3 inches wide)
Alternatively, you can use "LA Galbi" beef short ribs (aka Flanken Cut). If so, please see "Recipe instruction" below for more information.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup Korean melon juice - approximately 1/2 melon (substitutions: Korean Pear, Bosc Pear or Fuji Apple)
- 1/4 Sake (substitutions: Really yummy Chablis or chardonnay)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Shallots (pureed)
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic (pureed) - approximately 5 cloves
- 1 Tsp Miso Paste/Korean Soybean Paste: DhenJang
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper (approximately 15-20 turns on the pepper mill)
Amazon.com Links For Ingredients & Suggested Kitchen Gadgets For This Recipe:
(CLICK on the Amzon.com links below to view the item, NOT the pictures!)
Kishibori Shoyu (Pure Artisan Soy Sauce), Premium Imported Soy, unadulterated and without preservatives
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey - Kosher Certified
Jaeraesik Soybean Paste (1.1 lb) By CJ Haechandle
Hikari Organic Miso Paste
Olive Oil Greek medal winner
Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 25.5 FL. OZ. tins (Pack of 2), Organic Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
Microplane Professional Series Fine Cheese Grater - Made in USA Blade
Tovolo Flex-Core Stainless Steel Handled Spatula, Removable Head, Heat Resistant
To Strain & Remove Vegetable Puree In The Marinate: Stainless Steel Fine Tea Mesh Strainer Colander Sieve with Handle for Kitchen Food Rice Vegetable, Set of 3
To Strain & Remove Vegetable Puree In The Marinate: Piazza Chinois Strainer with Fine Mesh, 7-7/8-Inch 100% Made In Italy
If You Don't Want To Use The Microplane To Puree The Garlic and Shallots: Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep Plus Food Processor Brushed Chrome and Nickel
To Quickly Light Your Charcols: Fire Starter, Charcoal Starter and Lighter, BBQ Smoker, Grill Starter, Chemical Free Heated Air with Built-in Blower
BIG GREEN EGG EGGniter Electric Fire Starter - Starts Your Lump Charcoal in 2 Minutes!!
For Stove Top Grilling Your GalBi: Lodge Pro-Grid Cast Iron Grill and Griddle Combo. Reversible 20" x 10.44" Grill/Griddle Pan with Easy-Grip Handles
For Stove Top Grilling Your GalBi: Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle
For Oven Broiling Your GalBi: Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Jelly Roll Baking Sheet
Clean Ones 513017 500 Count Disposable Poly Gloves
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
Wüsthof - 10" Knife Sharpening Steel with Loop
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
John Boos Maple Wood End Grain Reversible Butcher Block Cutting Board, 20"x 15"
CLICK HERE https://amzn.to/2UpAYvH
- Cut the beef short ribs into long filets (as shown in the video). TIP: Freeze the ribs for 15 to 30 minutes and it will be easier to control the meat when filleting. Once you are done with filleting the rib, roll the strip of filet around the bone (as shown in the video).
- IF USING LA Galbi, please soak the meat in a large bowl in cold water (10-15 minutes) to remove the excess blood and bone fragment dust. Let the meat drain in a strainer and let the water drain naturally for 10 minutes. Do not squeeze the meat to remove the excess water.
To Make The Restaurant Style Galbi Marinade:
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, over a mixing bowl, place the Microplane of the mesh strainer and puree the Korean melon (or your choice of the fruit listed above). Do so until you have 1/3 cup of its juice. Using the back of a spatula/or spoon, press down on the melon puree in the fine mesh to extract the juice. (Alternatively, you can puree the melon using a food processor and then use the fine mesh strainer to extract the juice.)
- Using the Microplane, puree the shallots and garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Unroll the Galbi filets, submerge the meat in the marinade, and roll the strip of filet around the bone (as shown in the video).
- Place all the marinaded Galbi filets in a ziplock bag and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before cooking. If you prefer a stronger marinade taste to your Galbi, store it in the refrigerator overnight (maximum of 12 hours).
- What to do with the extra marinade that is leftover? DO NOT ADD THE EXTRA MARINADE IN THE Galbi Filet ziplock bag. (The amount of marinade from our hand soaked method is more than enough marinade for our beef short ribs filets. Because this is a higher quality of meat, you don't really need a lot of marinade and overpower the taste of the delicious rib meat.) Use any chicken meat you have (preferably with bone-in) and place the leftover marinade in a ziplock with the chicken. Let this soak overnight/12 hours in the refrigerator, and grill it on your outdoor grill or roast it in the oven.
- IF YOU ARE USING LA Galbi, let the marinade soak overnight in the refrigerator/12 to 24 hours. Please do add all the marinade in the ziplock bag with the LA Gabli cuts. Because the LA Galbi cut of beef is a bit tough, extra soaking time in the marinade is ideal.
Options For Grilling Your Galbi:
My first choice would be to grill the Galbi over hot charcoal. If so, I highly recommend the charcoal ignitor gadget. It will save you a ton of time and agony in trying to ignite your charcoal. (I personally prefer not to use gasoline on my charcoal to ignite it, since I can still taste and smell the gasoline, even after it burns off.) Make sure your grill and the grill plate are piping hot. Unroll the Galbi and lay it across your grill. Grill the meat until you see some grill marks on it. This will take 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on how hot your grill is, so keep an eye on it!
My second choice would be to grill the Galbi in the oven at broil setting, with the oven shelf at its highest setting (as shown in the video). Place the unrolled Galbi on your baking sheet, closely together in the center of the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on your top oven shelf and let it cook until you see some brown marks on the meat (as shown in the video). Turn the Gabi over and cook the other side until you see some brown marks. How long to cook each side will depend on how powerful your oven/broiler is, so just keep an eye on it.
My third choice would be using a cast iron grill on the stove. Make sure to preheat the cast iron grill on the stovetop, at its highest heat setting, for good 5 minutes. You want the grill to be piping hot that when you place the Galbi down (unrolled), you should see smoke and hear a loud sizzling sound. Cook on each side until you see some grill marks.
How To Make Lettuce Wrap (Ssam) With Your Galbi:
TIP: Your lettuce wrap should be made so that it is one bite-size. This is so that you can taste all the flavors of the Galbi, vegetables, rice, and SsamJang in one bite.
Take a piece of lettuce, size of your hand (fold over or snap off the root end/core end of the lettuce), and add small amount of rice, piece of Galbi, some SsamJang (this is a salty and slightly spicy condiment so use sparingly), scallion salad and other optional vegetables (sliced fresh Serrano peppers, garlic and kimchi). Fold over the lettuce in half and roll up the sides, then place the entire wrap in your mouth and enjoy all the flavors of Korean BBQ YUMMINESS...:-) It is perfectly fine to place your hand over mouth while chewing on your lettuce wrap, as it could be a big bite to chew.
Please check out these video recipes related to the recipe:
Korean BBQ BulGoGi 불고기: Beef, Chicken, Mushroom & Pork (Spicy & Non-Spicy)
Korean Lettuce Wrap Condiment: Ssamjang (Korean dipping sauce 쌈장)
Korean Rice 101 (Bap: 밥짓기 For HANGRY Souls: Multigrain Rice Japgokbap: 잡곡밥
#koreanrecipes #koreancooking #authenticKoreanrecipes #easykoreanrecipes #koreanrecipesinenglish #koreanfood #koreancookingtutorial #koreancookinglessons #koreancookingshow #sugarfreerecipes #sugarfreecooking #mukbang #eatingshow #4kcookingvideo #4kvideo #먹방 #양념갈비만들기