Korean Bulgogi 5 Ways: Beef, Chicken, Pork & Mushroom/Vegan Recipe + Lettuce Wraps [Korean BBQ] 불고기
Updated: Mar 4, 2020
When it comes to Korean BBQ, there are endless options for meat, including seafood, with or without marinades. BulGoGi (불고기) is one of the most popular Korean BBQ that is enjoyed by many. BulGoGi (불고기) literally means "Fire" (Bul 불) "meat" (GoGi 고기). It is meant to be grilled on super high "fire." BulGoGi (불고기) is also a huge comfort food in Korean cuisine. Ok, it is high-end comfort food...:-)
I am super excited to share this Korean BBQ BulGoGi 불고기 recipe with you! Because not only is it to make this delicious marinade but it also includes BulGoGi recipe for Beef, Chicken, Mushroom, and Pork. For pork marinade, it includes non-spicy and spicy marinade Pork BulGoGi 불고기 recipe.
If you haven't done so yet, please make sure to check out Korean GalBi (Beef Short Ribs Marinade) Recipe.
Korean BBQ: Beef Short Ribs Galbi/Kalbi 갈비구이 Recipe & How To Cut Galbi Short Ribs
Below you will find the following information:
- Youtube video: Korean BBQ BulGoGi 불고기: Beef, Chicken, Mushroom & Pork (Spicy & Non-Spicy) Recipe
- Amazon.com links for ingredients and suggested kitchen gadgets for Korean BBQ BulGoGi 불고기 recipe
- Recipe instructions
- Korean markets in the bay area
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. I upload a NEW VIDEO RECIPE EVERY THURSDAY! I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
Thanks for watching!
For both non-spicy and spicy bulgogi marinade:
- Approximately 2 lbs of your protein of choice (chicken breast, sliced rib eye, sliced pork shoulder)
- Mushroom bulgogi (2 large portobello, 12 fresh Shitake, and 4-6 king trumpets)
Non-Spicy Bulgogi Marinade:
- 1/3 Cup soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup mirin
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 3 Fresh garlic cloves chopped
- 3 Stalks of green onions/scallions (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Miso Paste
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- 1/3 Tsp of sesame oil
Spicy Bulgogi Marinade: (Ideal for sliced chicken breast and pork shoulder)
- All the ingredients listed above for the non-spicy bulgogi marinade
- 1/4 Cup GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1 Tbsp Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp brown rice vinegar (any mild vinegar will suffice)
- 1 Tsp freshly grated ginger (use a microplane)
- 1/2 Tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
AMAZON.COM Ingredients & Recommended Kitchen Gadgets For Korean BBQ BulGoGi 불고기: Beef, Chicken, Mushroom & Pork (Spicy & Non-Spicy) Recipe
(CLICK on the Amzon.com links below to view the item, NOT the pictures!)
Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C4iqMo
Hikari Organic Miso Paste
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2IIjjtS
Kishibori Shoyu (Pure Artisan Soy Sauce), Premium Imported Soy, unadulterated and without preservatives
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2AyzxVI
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2KhKM4F
Kikkoman Manjo Aji Mirin, 17 fl oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2w97Jme
Ohsawa Genuine Mirin, Organic Sweet Rice Seasoning Wine for Traditional Japanese Cuisine, Aged over 9 Months for Umami Flavor
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2IFhXzV
Simply Organic Ground Garlic | Certified Organic
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2REmd6S
Kadoya 100% Pure Sesame Oil 5.5 oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CThYQL
Ottogi Premium Roasted Sesame Oil, 10.82 Ounces
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2vtDoyx
100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey - Kosher Certified
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NylTUK
Olive Oil Greek medal winner
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2AC9BbO
Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 25.5 FL. OZ. tins (Pack of 2), Organic Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Ay7W7l
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2ACzNDo
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2McIeGE
Korean Red Hot Chili Pepper Flakes Powder
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2QH63bF
Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper - Certified Organic
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NI8994
Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar 12 Oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Cswpu3
Mizkan Pure Brown Rice Black Vinegar (Domestic Brown Rice 100%)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C5mr1m
Microplane Professional Series Fine Cheese Grater - Made in USA Blade
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OFZoOq
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DtFEwi
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OGYJvT
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Q03tx9
Outdoor Grilling Gadgets For Cooking BulGoGi
#1 BEST Vegetable Grill Basket - BBQ Accessories for Grilling
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2q4YCji
Grill Pan, Grill Topper Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill Accessories
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2q2lcsu
WolfWise Portable BBQ Grilling Basket 430 Stainless Steel Removable Wooden Handle
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2PHlUGN
BBQ Masters Heavy Duty 4 Piece BBQ Grilling Tools Set - Extra Thick Stainless Steel Barbecue Grill Accessories
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2q4sLip
Korean BulGoGi is ideally enjoyed with freshly cooked Korean rice. Please watch the video below on How To Make Korean Rice. BUT if you are in a pinch, you can try the microwavable Korean rice that is super delicious!
CJ Hetbahn Cooked White Rice, Gluten-Free, Vegan
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2yrJ24O
CJ Cooked Budding Sprouted Brown Rice
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2O8C7rO
YouTube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe: Korean Rice 101 (Bap: 밥짓기 For HANGRY Souls: Multigrain Rice Japgokbap: 잡곡밥 - Modern Pepper #3
It is very common that you have your BulGoGi with lettuce wrap with a Korean condiment called ssham jang. You can make this by watching the video below OR buy it.
Chung Jung One Sunchang Seasoned Soybean Paste (Ssamjang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CUO5zl
For recipe instructions for the lettuce wrap and its condiment (ssham jang), please watch the video below.
YouTube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe: Korean Lettuce Wrap Condiment: Ssamjang (Korean dipping sauce 쌈장) - Modern Pepper video #5
Marinading The Meats:
- If you don't live near a Korean market to purchase the pre-sliced beef and pork, freeze the meat for 30 minutes (half frozen) before slicing the meat at home. And the same for slicing chicken breasts.
- Presoak the sliced beef and pork in a big bowl with cold water (completely submerged) for 10-20 minutes.
- Using a colander, let the pre-soaked meats drain naturally for 10 minutes (do not squeeze out the excess water).
- Using a large bowl, mix the marinade ingredients thoroughly.
- Add your meat and thoroughly coat all the sliced meats. (I prefer to use my hands to mix, wearing Korean disposable kitchen gloves.)
- Store the marinaded meets in your refrigerator overnight (12 hours). If you are pressed for time, let it marinate for an hour in the refrigerator or 30 minutes on your kitchen counter. For the mushroom bulgogi, let it soak in the marinade for 1 hour. If you are pressed for time, 30 minutes on your kitchen counter.
- For freezing the marinaded meats for future consumption, please make sure to double/triple bag your marinaded meats in smaller portion sizes for our traditional Korean and non-traditional recipes. For mushroom bulgogi, you can freeze the pre-marinade only (mushroom will not freeze well).
Options For Cooking The Marinaded Meats:
- Use a non-stick frying pan. Set the heat to high at first, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and lightly sear the meats on high heat (2-3 minutes/light brown marks on the meat), then lower the heat to medium to finish cooking the meat.
- Use an outdoor grill. Place the meats (if possible using a Korean grilling gadget as mentioned in the video. OR layer a thick sheet of foil, poke some holes on the sheet and lay your meat down) on the hottest part of the grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes and move/turn meats around to finish cooking. See the outdoor grilling gadgets listed below.
- Use your oven at broil setting. Place your oven shelf at the highest setting. Preheat your oven for at least 5 minutes. Lay your meat on a baking sheet (center the meats in the middle so it is directly under the broiler heat) and place directly under the broiler heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes/until you see some brown marks on the meat. Turn the meat over, and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes/until you see some brown marks.
Bulgogi, Korean barbecue, Korean marinated beef barbecue, beef barbecue, Korean marinated beef, mushroom barbecue, grilled mushrooms, Korean food, Korean cooking, Korean recipes, Korean cuisine, beef, grilled beef, pan-fried beef, barbecue, BBQ, bulgogi marinade, 불고기, 버섯구이, Korean Cuisine (Cuisine), Cooking (science)
bulgogi beef recipe, bulgogi, bulgogi marinade, bulgogi beef, bulgogi sauce recipe, bulgogi sauce, bulgogi hut, easy bulgogi recipe, authentic bulgogi recipe, ground beef bulgogi, authentic, authentic recipe
Korean food, Korean cooking, Korean cuisine, galbi, beef short ribs, Korean style beef short ribs, kalbi, 갈비, 통갈비
Korean food, Korean cooking, Korean recipe, Korean cuisine, Korean authentic recipe, Korean kitchen, cooking, YouTube video recipe
Korean Bulgogi, Korean marinated BBQ, Beef Bulgogi, Korean Beef BBQ, Chicken Bulgogi, Korean Chicken BBQ, Pork Bulgogi, Korean Pork BBQ, Spicy Pork Bulgogi, Spicy Korean Pork BBQ, Spicy Korean pork BBQ, Dwaejibulgogi, 돼지불고기, Spicy Chicken Bulgogi, Spicy marinated pork, Spicy Korean Chicken BBQ, Spicy marinated chicken, Mushroom Bulgogi, Portobello Mushroom Bulgogi, Mushroom Korean BBQ, How To Make Bulgogi, Korean Marinated BBQ Chicken, Marinaded Korean Beef, Korean Beef Marinade, How To Grill/Cook Bulgogi, Korean BBQ-Style Beef Bulgogi, Korean grilled beef, Korean lettuce wrap, Korean BBQ lettuce wrap, Vegan BBQ Recipe, Vegan Bulgogi Recipe, How to make Vegan bulgogi, Spicy Bulgogi, 불고기 만들기, 불고기 레시피, Easy Bulgogi, Authentic Korean Cooking, Authentic Korean Recipes, Korean Cooking Video, Korean Recipe Video, Korean eating show, 먹방, Korean food eating show