Korean Spinach 2 Ways: Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬) - Modern Pep
Thanks for visiting my blog!
If you never had Korean spinach (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물), well you are in for a treat! Korean spinach is leafy, a bit more watery in taste, and a bit sweeter than the typical spinach you would find at your local supermarket. In my opinion, it has less metallic taste which makes it taste so refreshing! This is how I can get my kids and husband to eat spinach. Korean spinach is one of those stable Korean vegetable side dish (side dish in Korean is "BanChan" 반찬) that you'll always find at all Korean markets, from small mom-n-pop to huge supermarkets. BUT I have never found Korean spinach at any non-Korean supermarkets and produce stores. So, you'll definitely need to go to a Korean market to purchase Korean spinach. Alternatively, you can substitute your favorite green leaf vegetable for this recipe! Dinosaur kale leaves are a great alternative to Korean spinach for this recipe.
This Korean Spinach 2 Ways: Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물) Recipe includes:
- Traditional Korean Spinach Recipe (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬)
- Non-traditional Korean Spinach Recipe: Slightly spicy & creamy recipe using Greek yogurt and GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste)
These two are simple recipes where you can dresses-up your Korean spinach (or Dinosaur kale leaves) with minimal ingredients, while fully enhancing the natural taste these greens. AND guess what, spinach (kale leaves) are superfood, but you forget that you're eating such highly nutritious vegetable because this recipe will make the spinach Oh-So-YUM!
I, personally, like to have Korean spinach with just bowl of Korean rice, a tiny spoonful of GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste), Korean roasted seaweed, and a few slices of avocado. Just simply delicious! AND I also like to serve this as a side to my non-Korean dishes (i.e. steaks, chicken and fish).
FUN FACT #1: Korean spinach side dish is one of the most popular and common vegetable side dish that is served with everyday meals. No, this is not based on some clinical research study....:-)
Below you will find the following information:
- YouTube: Korean Spinach 2 Ways: Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬) - Modern Pepper #7
- Amazon.com links of ingredients and suggested kitchen gadgets for this recipe
- Recipe instruction
- Korean markets in the bay area
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. I upload a NEW VIDEO RECIPE EVERY THURSDAY! I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
Click To SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/2HJ63rl
You can also FIND & FOLLOW ME @ https://www.instagram.com/modernpepper/ https://www.facebook.com/ModernPepper/ https://twitter.com/modernpepper
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
See you NEXT THURSDAY...:-)
Thanks for watching!
YouTube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe:
Korean Spinach 2 Ways: Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬) - Modern Pepper #7
RECOMMENDED VIDEOS TO COMPLIMENT THIS KOREAN SPINACH SIDE DISH:
YouTube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe: Korean Spinach 2 Ways - Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬) - Modern Pepper #7
YouTube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe: Classic JapChae Recipe 잡채: Sweet Potato Glass Noodles Stir-Fried with Vegetables - Modern Pepper #6
Traditional Korean Spinach:
- 1 bunch of fresh Korean spinach (1 cup blanched) or substitute 1 bunch of dinosaur kale leaves only (remove the leaves from the stem)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Small pinch of black pepper
- 1 or 2 pinch of salt
- Tiny drizzle of sesame oil (1/3 tsp or less)
- 1 fresh clove of garlic (blanched and finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp scallion/green onion (chopped, green part only)
Creamy Greek Yogurt with GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste):
- 1 bunch of fresh Korean spinach (1 cup blanched) or substitute 1 bunch of dinosaur kale
- 1 Tbsp Greek Yogurt (full fat only) or substitute creme fraiche
- 1 Tsp honey
- 1/4 fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Korean red pepper paste (GoChuJang)
- 1/2 Tbsp green onion/scallions (green part only, chopped)
Amazon.com Links For Ingredients & Suggested Kitchen Gadgets For Korean Spinach 2 Ways: Traditional & GoChuJang Dressing (Sigeumchi-namul: 시금치나물 반찬) Recipe - Modern Pepper #7
(CLICK on the Amzon.com links below to view the item, NOT the pictures!)
Kishibori Shoyu (Pure Artisan Soy Sauce), Premium Imported Soy, unadulterated and without preservatives
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2AyzxVI
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2KhKM4F
Kadoya 100% Pure Sesame Oil 5.5 oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CThYQL
Ottogi Premium Roasted Sesame Oil, 10.82 Ounces
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2vtDoyx
100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey - Kosher Certified
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NylTUK
Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C4iqMo
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, 3 lbs
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2yLjG2f
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2ACzNDo
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2McIeGE
Mixing Bowls: Duralex Made In France Lys Stackable 10-Piece Bowl Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OmLy2y
Kuhn Rikon Spider Skimmer, Large, Stainless Steel
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CWXwOK
Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Stainless Steel Spider Strainer with Natural Bamboo Handle, 5-Inch Strainer Basket
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2EBy8Qf
Clean Ones 513017 500 Count Disposable Poly Gloves
CLICK HERE: CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2A1bqwF
Bellemain Micro-perforated Stainless Steel 5-quart Colander-Dishwasher Safe
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2yqor0K
Tramontina 80116/041DS Gourmet 18/10 Stainless Steel Induction-Ready Tri-Ply Clad Covered Stock Pot, 8-Quart, NSF-Certified
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CexmpK
All-Clad 4508 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Stockpot with Lid/Cookware
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2CeMSBN
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DtFEwi
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OGYJvT
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Q03tx9
Blanching The Spinach
(If substituting dinosaur kale, using your hands, remove the leaves from the core stem.)
- Cut the very tip of the root end off (make sure to leave the purple part of the base of the spinach in tact).
- Discard any bruised or yellow parts of the spinach.
- Triple wash the spinach in a large mixing bowl under running water.
- In a large pot, fill the water to 2/3.
- Turn the heat on high, cover with lid and bring to boil
- Add your fresh garlic clove (remove skin and cut off root) to the boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove and put it aside.
- Create a salt bath boiling water. Add approximately 1/2 cup of salt. It should taste salty, but do not over do it with too much salt. The heat will remain high.
- Before you add the fresh spinach to the salt bath water, have a large mixing ready with cold water. (No need to add ice)
- Place your spinach in the pot. Make sure to completely submerge the spinach in the boiling water. DO NOT BLANCH FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS. (If you are using Kale leaves, the same blanching time applies. NOT MORE THAN 10 SECONDS.)
- Transfer the hot spinach to a large mixing bowl with cold water. Bring the mixing bowl over to the sink and drain into a strainer and put the spinach back into the mixing bowl and add cold water. Repeat the process 2 more times. Be gentle with the spinach, please...:-) . This process is to quickly stop the spinach from cooking further, by quickly cooling down the spinach.
- Let the spinach rest in the strainer. Take enough spinach to fill the palm of your hand. GENTLY squeeze out the excess water (as shown in the video).
- Detangle the spinach and let it rest in a mixing bowl while you prepare the dressing.
Making The Traditional Korean Spinach Dressing:
- Mix the soy sauce, salt, black pepper, garlic, scallion, and sesame oil in bowl.
- Add the dressing to the spinach and mix gently with your hands
Making The Creamy Greek Yogurt With GoChuJang Dressing
- Add the fresh lemon juice, honey, Greek Yogurt, scallions, and GoChuJang to a bowl and mix.
- Pour the dressing to the spinach and mix gently with your hands.
Best to consume the spinach within 2 days
KOREAN MARKETS IN THE BAY AREA
(Click on the hyperlinked names below to view their website)
Unlike the mom-and-pop Korean markets in San Francisco, the markets outside of SF are GIANT size Korean supermarkets.
- Oakland: KP Asian Market
- Daly City: Kukje Supermarket
- Sunnyvale: Hangook Supermarket
- San Jose: H Mart