How To Make Seabass (sea bass) w/ Miso Glaze & Spicy GoChuJang Glaze - Modern Pepper Recipe #1
Chilean Seabass is one my favorite fish dishes! I love its buttery taste that just melts in your mouth. My favorite to enjoy Chilean Seabass is with Miso & GoChuJang (Korean Red Pepper Paste) glaze. These two glazes perfectly compliments the natural buttery taste of Chilean Seabass. I am so excited to share this recipe with you!
Below you will find:
- Youtube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe #1: How To Make Seabass (sea bass) w/ Miso Glaze & Spicy GoChuJang Glaze
- List of ingredients
- Amazon.com links for ingredients and suggested kitchen gadgets
- Recipe instruction
- Links to Korean markets in the bay area
- Where to buy $20 bottle (Nielson pinot noir)
- Links to BTS (Korean pop group that is exploding on the Billboards)
If you haven't done so yet, please SUBSCRIBE to Modern Pepper YouTube channel. I upload a NEW VIDEO RECIPE EVERY THURSDAY! I WOULD LOVE TO COOK WITH YOU AGAIN...:-)
Click To SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/2HJ63rl
WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT BELOW...:-)
Also, leave me requests for future recipes for both traditional Korean cuisines and everyday meals with a Korean twist.
See you NEXT THURSDAY...:-)
Thanks for watching!
Youtube Modern Pepper Korean Cooking Video Recipe #1: How To Make Seabass (sea bass) w/ Miso Glaze & Spicy GoChuJang Glaze
- Chilean seabass (2 inch wide cuts). For smaller portion, 1 inch wide cuts.
- 2 tbsp Miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Mirin (Japanese & Korean cooking wine)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp for the Miso glaze and 2 tbsp for the frying pan)
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of lemon zest (less than 1/4 tsp)
- Optional: Cayenne pepper (pinch/ less than 1/4 tsp)
- 2 tbsp GoChuJang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1/2 tsp sugar (or substitute honey)
- 1 - 2 tbsp butter (use butter w yellow color, not white/beige looking)
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
Serving size: 4-6 for each of the glaze (depending on how wide the fish cuts are)
Amazon.com Links For Ingredients, Suggested Kitchen Gadgets & Halloween Props
(CLICK on the Amzon.com links below to view the item, NOT the pictures!)
Chung Jung One Sunchang Hot Pepper Paste Gold (Gochujang)
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2C4iqMo
Hikari Organic Miso Paste
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2IIjjtS
Kishibori Shoyu (Pure Artisan Soy Sauce), Premium Imported Soy, unadulterated and without preservatives
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2AyzxVI
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2KhKM4F
Kikkoman Manjo Aji Mirin, 17 fl oz
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2w97Jme
Ohsawa Genuine Mirin, Organic Sweet Rice Seasoning Wine for Traditional Japanese Cuisine, Aged over 9 Months for Umami Flavor
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2IFhXzV
Simply Organic Ground Garlic | Certified Organic
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2REmd6S
Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper - Certified Organic
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NI8994
100% Pure Raw & Unfiltered Honey - Kosher Certified
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NylTUK
Wholesome Organic Dark Brown Sugar, Fair Trade, Non GMO, 1.5 LB (Pack of 6)
Olive Oil Greek medal winner
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2AC9BbO
Zoe Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 25.5 FL. OZ. tins (Pack of 2), Organic Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Ay7W7l
Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined, Organic, Gluten Free, Ancient Kosher Sea Salt
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2MvqSoB
Spicy World Peppercorn (Whole)-Black Tellicherry
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2ACzNDo
COLE & MASON Capstan Wood Pepper Grinder - Wooden Mill Includes Precision Mechanism, 12.5 inch
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2McIeGE
Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pan, 14"
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2NUPKKz
All-Clad 7112NSR2 MC2 Professional Master Chef 2 Stainless Steel Bi-Ply Bonded Oven Safe PFOA Free Nonstick Fry Pan Cookware, 12-Inch, Silver
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DjEVgQ
Wusthof Classic 8-Inch Chef's Knife
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2DtFEwi
Wüsthof Twelve Piece Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2OGYJvT
Wusthof Classic 7-piece Slim Knife Block Set
CLICK HERE: https://amzn.to/2Q03tx9
- To make the Miso glaze, combine the miso paste, soy sauce, mirin, garlic powder, olive oil (1tbsp), black pepper, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper in a bowl and mix.
- To make the GoChuJang glaze, combine 1 tbsp of the Miso glaze, GoChuJang, and sugar in a bowl and mix.
- Preheat your oven to BROIL setting. Make sure to move your oven shelf high so your frying pan will be right under the oven fire.
- Preheat your non-stick frying pan on high heat. It is critical that your frying pan is heated hot to sear the skin of the fish. Test it buy sprinkling some water on the pan (dip your fingers in water and sprinkle over the pan). If the water bubbles are dancing/moving around and sizzling, your frying pan is ready. If the bubbles are just hanging and not sizzling, wait a minute or two, and try sprinkling the water again.
- Pat dry your fish with paper towel on both sides, the flesh and skin.
- Add the olive oil (2 tbsp) to your heated frying pan.
- Place the fish with the skin down. Let it sear for 60 - 90 seconds.
- Turn off the stove heat. Tilt your frying pan to one side, add butter and fresh thyme.
- Using a spoon, coat the flesh of the fish with the herb infused butter.
- Coat the glaze on the flesh of the skin. Remember, the glaze is a condiment, so don't put too much glaze on it.
- Place the frying pan right under the oven fire. Use a frying pan with a non-plastic handle. OR you can try to wrap the plastic handle with aluminum foil (put 2-3 layers) to protect it from heat.
- Turn your oven light on, and keep a close eye on the fish. Depending on how strong your oven fire is, it can take 60 seconds for the glaze to sizzle. OR it can take 3-4 minutes in an oven with less fire power. The key is to have the glaze sizzle into the flesh of the fish. We want to see brown spots on the glaze.
- Once the glaze has sizzled, remove to a serving plate asap. If you keep the fish in the frying pan, it will end up being over cooked. Let the fish start to cool down on the plate for 2 minutes or so, and serve immediately.
TIP: You can store the glaze in the freezer (double bag it in plastic sandwich bag first and freezer bag). Best to consume within a month.
Below are some Korean grocery stores and Amazon links.
(click on the hyperlinked name below to view their website):
- If you live in San Francisco
- In the bay area, unlike the mom-and-pop Korean markets in San Francisco, the markets below are GIANT Korean supermarkets.
Oakland: KP Asian Market
Daly City: Kukjae Supermarket
Sunnyvale: Hangook Supermarket
San Jose: H Mart
One of my favorite $20 pinot noir bottles.
No, you don't have to only drink wine white with fish entrees. A light and dry red actually pairs nicely with fish, especially with spicy GoChuJang glaze. For the Miso glaze, a dry bubbles/brut would be a good compliment.
If you are a San Francisco local, Blackwell's Wine & Spirits (located in the outer Richmond) is worth a visit. Everyone that works here are so helpful, friendly, and knowledgable. Most importantly, they just have great stuff, without all the FUSSY attitude that one might experience at the high end shops. Yes, support your local business!
BTS (Korean pop group, totally different from PSY, is exploding with popularity globally.) Yes, BTS's music is definitely "younger" than PSY. No, I usually don't listen to recent K-pop. Yes, I'm still into my K-pop from the 90s...:-) BUT BTS is worth a listen. Click here to view BTS and Steve Aoki remix music video.
As a Korean-American, I'm proud to see their success reach global presence!